ORly Radio Show 62 for Friday June 12th, 2015 - Fukushima, NAACP, Cuba, Wind, Longevity, Corruption, NRA, McKinney
Welcome to ORly Radio Show 62 for Friday June 12th, 2015 where we dismantle the current events for your edutainment through mostly rational conversations that make you go ‘Oh Really’! I'm your host Andy Cowen with my usual suspects Michael Robinson and David O’Connor.
Errata From Last Week: We make mistakes. Please, if you find one, pause the podcast, and send us a note. email@example.com or phone it in 470-222-6759
QUICK Headlines by Circa:
- Large Hadron Collider resumes smashing particles after two-year hiatus http://circanews.com/s/LXO
- Yahoo to stream first NFL game over the web for free http://circanews.com/s/FPv
- In landmark case, Supreme Court rules in favor of man posting threats on Facebook http://circanews.com/s/hS7
- Charter Communications to buy Time Warner Cable for $55.33 billion http://circanews.com/s/kjq
- Canadian baby first in world to be born using mitochondria injection http://circanews.com/s/5Ka
- SpaceX wins approval to launch military satellites into space http://circanews.com/s/aN3
- Lockheed-Boeing space venture 'cannot survive' on current business http://circanews.com/s/vnLB
- Nebraska ends death penalty, first time in 40 years by a conservative US state http://circanews.com/s/5fLB
- Greece rejects further austerity cuts demanded by foreign lenders http://circanews.com/s/PsJ
I Just Don’t Know
Japan set to restart first nuclear plant since Fukushima disaster http://circanews.com/s/cjJ
NAACP head considers herself black, is called out by her white parents, the internet explodes. NAACP stands by #RachelDolezal, "Race is not a qualifying criteria" for #NAACP leadership - Twitter reacts.
David Yanez is part of a team inspired by the motion that collapsed the bridge to create a bladeless “whirlpool wind turbine” - an inverted-cone-shaped structure half the cost of a conventional machine.
Logical Fallacy - Black or White
On October 12, 2011, Orange County experienced the deadliest mass killing in its modern history. Scott Dekraai killed 8 people, including his ex-wife, in a Seal Beach beauty salon. He was arrested wearing full body armor just a few blocks away. Without a doubt, Dekraai was the perpetrator. A dozen surviving witnesses saw him. He admitted to the shooting early on. Yet, nearly four years later, the case against him has all but fallen apart.
It turns out that prosecutors and police officers committed an egregious violation of Dekraai's rights—so much so that Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals shocked everyone and removed the Orange County District Attorney's Office, and all 250 prosecutors, from having anything more to do with the case.
Aurora Mass Shooter's Diary Debunk a Favorite NRA Talking Point "ETA response [approximately] 3 mins," he noted. In his list of possible methods of attack, where he checked off mass murder using firearms as his choice, he also wrote "being caught 99% certain." http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/james-holmes-diary-aurora-gun-free-zones-debunked
McKinney Pool Party goes off the rails and blows up the internet with #blacklivesmatter But what really happened? http://news.yahoo.com/mckinney-police-officer-apologies--blames-aggression-at-pool-party-on-emotional-stress-190534788.html
Entertainment/Reviews/(Nit)Picks (5 Minutes per)
Andy’s: Living Revocable Trusts http://www.aarp.org/money/estate-planning/info-09-2010/ten_things_you_should_know_about_living_trusts.html
Mike’s: Fallout 4!!! http://bethsoft.com/
David’s: XCOM2 - http://xcom.com/